Work to establish Duxford as an airfield began in October 1917, a total of 223 acres of farmland was acquired under directives issued by the War Office. The aerodrome was taken over by the RFC in February 1918 and in March the nuclei of three DH9 squadrons (119,123 and 129) arrived. When the RAF came into being on the 1st April 1918 Duxford came under the control of the new Air Ministry. In September 1920 Duxford became home to No 2 Flying Training School equipped with Avro 504s, DH9As and Bristol Fighters. From 1924 three fighter squadrons (19,29 and 111) were formed at Duxford. In 1938 No 19 Squadron became the first RAF squadron to re-equip with the Spitfire, the first Spitfire being flown in to Duxford in August by Jeffrey Quill.