Text Size

Hello - another newbie!

• Bluey
  • Bluey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 7 months ago #1181 by Bluey
Bluey replied the topic: Hello - another newbie!
I came across this site a while back, then it disappeared and so was very relieved to see it back on line. Many thanks to you for your obvious dedication. I am starting to research my fathers activities in the Cocos Islands - he was posted there after 9 and 97 Squadrons PFF in Europe. Despite having a career in the RAF I suspect he was typical - he never talked about it. However if anybody has any info I should be very grateful.... I have a few photos which I will send on in due course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 7 months ago #1182 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Hello - another newbie!
Hey Bluey
Thanks for the kind words and for returning, just keeping the site up and running and safe is almost a constant job. I'm still in the process of doing a complete rebuild but I'm going to be using www.rafb24.co.uk as the test site so you can keep up with the changes there.
Any photos you might have will be greatly received.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
8 years 6 months ago #1186 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Re: Hello - another newbie!
Hi, Bluey,

Was your father groundcrew? Aircrew? What crew position, if air crew? What's his name? Is there a surviving logbook? I'd guess no is the answer to that last question.

If he was aircrew, possibly his name will appear in a Liberator squadron Operations Record Book.

For the princely sum of 30 pounds you can obtain his minimal RAF personnel records -- enough for you to solve some of the mysteries.

Hoping you have more basics so that we can help you further.

Cheers,

Matt

• Bluey
  • Bluey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
8 years 6 months ago #1190 by Bluey
Bluey replied the topic: Re: Hello - another newbie!
Hi, Matt,

Many thanks for your response and comments. My initial contact with this excellent website was a brief introduction. However I did post some details but they don't seem to be visible. Briefly my father,
F/O Bill ( Bluey ) Howe DFC Flight /Engineer was posted to the Cocos Islands to 356 Squadron after completing a tour on 9 and 97 PFF squadrons. I do have access to his log book and a few photos which as I said will send on in the New Year. My aim is to try a build up a picture of his period out there - the only memory from that time is him never ever eating a date - possibly because he saw how they were packed and exported from India!!
Regards
David

More
8 years 6 months ago #1191 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Re: Hello - another newbie!
Hi, David,

Understood! Unfortunately I don't have the 356 Sqn Operational Record Book, but maybe someone else has it to look up your dad's name. If you are anywhere near Kew in London, the 356 Sqn ORB can be viewed there. Glad you have his logbook.

There is a hard-to-find limited edition book published maybe six years ago by the 355/356 Squadrons Register called "Signed With Their Honour". It's a collection of memoirs of 355/356 veterans, plus a monthly review of ops. Certainly there would be some good detail in here to educate you about the Cocos period.

It would be worth the effort to get your library to bring in a copy for you to peruse.

Another work is "Burma Liberators" by John R. W. Gwynne-Timothy. Volume Two has a chronological history of 356 and ops, concentrating, however, on the Canadians on the squadron.

What is the name of your father's skipper? I might find the skipper's name in the two book sources.

I see you're on-line, so I'll submit this so that you can read it now. I'm off for a bite to eat...

Cheers,

Matt (email: feb2944 AT aol DOT com, making the obvious changes)

More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #1192 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: Hello - another newbie!
Hi David
As well as a hard copy I also have a digital copy of the book that Matt speaks of, I'll send what's left of the association an email and see if they would be ok with me sending you a copy of it. In the mean time I'd be more than happy to send you any excerpts that main contain references to your father. When the 355/356 Squadron Association officially disbanded I was entrusted with copies of all of the Associations records, ORBs and the book etc. Although I've been somewhat lacking of late I am technically the main contact now for the records, I even have copies of all Mike Jones's research.
I'm going to be adding a Personal messaging system to this site in the next couple of days, you will then be able to click on another member's details and send them messages. If you haven't heard from me by this time next week send me a nudge.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Last Edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Gary.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds