Tuesday, April 25, 2017
Text Size

No. 150 Squadron R.A.F.

Crest
Description of the Squadron's Badge
In front of a cross voided, two arrows in saltire, the points uppermost. The cross is adopted in reference to the arms of Greece where the unit formed. The arrows symbolise service as a fighter squadron. The motto is in Greek.
Squadron's Motto:"Always Ahead"
Formation date: 1/4/1918 RFC at Kiree, from elements of Nos 17 and 47 squadrons
Brief History:
Disbanded 18/9/1919 at San Stephano. Reformed at Boscombe Down on 8th August 1938, serving with Bomber Command until 5th October 1944. Reformed 1st November 1944 at Fiskerton from C Fight, No.550 Squadron. Disbanded at Hemswell on 7th November 1945. Reforming as a Thor Ballistic Missile Unit at Carnaby on 1st August 1959 and disbanded on th August 1963.
Authority:
HM King George VI, March 1939.
Squadron Bases & Airfields Equipment Used and Dates
Boscombe Down 8/8/1938 Wellington IA 10/19140-12/1940
Benson 3/4/1939 Wellington IC 10/19140-12/1942
Challerange 2/9/1939 Wellington III 9/1942-8/1943
Ecury-sur-Coole 11/9/19139 Wellington X 4/19143-10/1944
Detachments Perpignan/La Salanque Liberator (trials)
Pouan 15/5/1940 Lancaster I & III 11/1944-11/1945
Houssay 3/6/1940
Stradishall 18/6/1940
Newton 3/7/1940
Snaith 10/7/1941
Kirmington 10/1942
Blida 19/12/1942 - UK Element became No.16 Squadron WEF 27/1/1943
Fontaine Chaude 5/5/1943
Kairouan West 26/5/1943
Oudna No.2 15/11/1943
Cerignola No.3 21/12/19143
Amendola 15/2/1944
Regina 4/7/1944-5/10/1944
Fiskerton 1/11/1944
Hemswell 22/11/1944-7/11/1945
No. 150 Squadron, RFC, was formed at Salonika, Macedonia, on 1st April 1918, as a fighter squadron and subsequently operated both in Macedonia and Turkey. Disbanded in 1919 it was re-formed in England as a bomber squadron in 1938 and equipped with Fairey Battles. In the early months of the Second World War No. 150 served with the Advanced Air Striking Force in France and in May 1940, was one of the Battle squadrons which attacked the Meuse bridges in an attempt to stem the German advance. It was withdrawn to England in June 1940, and by the end of the year was flying Wellingtons and playing its part in the strategic night-bombing offensive. In December 1942, after having flown 1,717 sorties from the United Kingdom with Battles and Wellingtons, the squadron moved to North Africa and subsequently took part in the Tunisian, Sicilian and Italian campaigns. No. 150 was disbanded (in Italy) early in October 1944, but re-formed in England a few weeks later as a Lancaster heavy-bomber squadron, and between 11th November 1944 and 25th April 1945, flew 827 operational sorties, and dropped more than 3,827 tons of bombs on enemy targets. In so doing it lost 8 aircraft and 40 aircrew. After finishing bombing operations the squadron was employed on dropping food supplies to the starving Dutch people, transporting ex-P0W's from Belgium to England, and also ferrying personnel from Italy to this country. It carried out attacks on Germany for the rest of the war and disbanded on 7 November 1945. On 1 August 1959, it reformed as a Thor intermediate ballistic missile squadron at Carnaby, disbanding again on 9 April 1963.
Aircraft PhotosPersonnel PhotosTarget PhotosOther Photos

comments