Saturday, January 20, 2018
Text Size

Photoshopped image, NOT a 356 Sqn Lib

More
2 years 1 month ago #4858 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole created the topic: Photoshopped image, NOT a 356 Sqn Lib
One of my in-depth research projects is the loss of 215 Squadron\'s KH214, shot down at low altitude while bombing a Burma-Siam Railway target near Anankwin, Burma on 3 January 1945. I have found the kin of each of the eleven men aboard (including Burmese royalty) and have shared significant info with them, including a Sept 1945 photo of a memorial service being held at their grave, where buried by the Japanese.

Despite the fact that the communal grave site was known to the British -- and the burial service is mentioned in the diary of the padre who led the service -- all eleven men aboard KH214 are listed as unknowns, with no known burial site. Ridiculous...and yet in the same village a solitary Aussie POW\'s grave, found the same day as the Lib crew\'s grave, was later exhumed. He was reburied in Thanbyuzayat War Cemetery about 27 miles away.

Sadly, Anankwin is still in a no-go part of Burma, and it is likely that the grave, within a bomb crater from a Liberator attack, cannot be relocated, anyway. In fact, it may have been washed away by a shifting stream.

I had been unable to find a photo of KH214 until this past summer, when an original image of KH214 in flight (without the 215 Sqn marking on the rudder) came up for sale on the ebay Italy site. I was too late to bid on it, but the seller put me in touch with the buyer in the Czech Republic, who very generously sent me a high res image. I have shared this with the kin of the casualties, including the skipper\'s two sons. Naturally, the kin are thrilled to finally see a photo of this aircraft.

Imagine my surprise when, a few weeks ago, I discovered the same photo in the 356 Squadron section of this website -- and with a crude \"X\" photoshopped onto the rudder. The \"X\" was the marking applied to 356 Sqn Liberators. Gary, our brilliant webmaster, explained that he had been sent the photo by Peter Caldwell, a veteran of either 355 or 356 Squadrons. I haven\'t heard from Peter (with whom I\'ve corresponded in the past), but he is one of the good guys and isn\'t the type to alter images, so most likely he was given the print by someone else! I\'m sure that is it.

Regardless, the photo is NOT that of a 356 Sqn Lib in flight. Absolutely it is KH214 of 215 Sqn, lost with its full crew when downed by AA fire on a bridge-busting op on 3 Jan \'45. Attached is a side-by-side comparison between the doctored rudder and the unaltered print that I received. Note the lovely right-angle corners at the ends of the \"X\". Uh uh! Obviously this was a simple photoshopped \"X\".

I had to bring this to the attention of the forum.

Cheers,

Matt
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 1 month ago #4860 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Photoshopped image, NOT a 356 Sqn Lib
Oooh yeah I can see what you mean now Matt, that's very crudely done.
I'll put it on my list of things to put right, I'm off work for 5 weeks over Christmas and I intend to spend some time working on this site to put some things right.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 years 1 month ago #4861 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Photoshopped image, NOT a 356 Sqn Lib
Five weeks off! Nice stretch for regaining one's sanity...except that you have a household full of kids? Or have some of them wandered off?

Thanks, Gary. We don't want to lead anyone else astray with that wrongly-identified photo.

Cheers,

Matt

More
1 month 3 weeks ago #5588 by Matt_Poole
Gary,

You've got to remove this photo from here ASAP. No excuses accepted any longer! It has been nearly two years since I pointed out that this image is a PhotoShop concoction of 215 Squadron Liberator KH214. I have the identical photo minus the ridiculous X on the tail, and I can see the serial number. And KH214 was aircraft "D" of 215 Sqn, per the ORB -- matching the photo. It's just that the photo was taken before the 215 Sqn code identifier was painted on the tail.

You've got to prioritize the removal of this bogus image. The X is not your fault -- you were sent the doctored image -- but I'm a stickler for accuracy, and this gets under my craw.

If you don't remove it before noon on Saturday, my President will write a nasty Tweet about you. I think that's worth a rare use of an emoji. B)

Thanks to the Man, who has done us all so much good with his toil on this website. No, not my President, YOU, Gary!

Cheers,

Matt

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5589 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Photoshopped image, NOT a 356 Sqn Lib
Yeah sorry been slack :whistle: but it's done now.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5590 by Matt_Poole
Hi, Gary,

"Sorry been slack" applies to so many things in my life, so I absolutely understand. Gotta thank you for removing the photo and enduring my hissy fit!

Cheers,

Matt

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds