Thursday, June 29, 2017
Text Size

TOPIC: Rice Drop by John Gordon Bell (Don) of 355 Squadron

Rice Drop by John Gordon Bell (Don) of 355 Squadron 7 years 10 months ago #1308

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

RICE DROP

Most of the stories written about the RAFs part in the war are about bombing raidsĀ  -
ourcrew's story is more humane.

As our plane turned on to the final approach, we could see that what had appeared from the air to be a wall running the full length of the runway was actually thousands of burlap sacks stacked about six feet high. Their contents, we found out later, was rice - about a thousand tons of it!

Read more...
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Rice Drop by John Gordon Bell (Don) of 355 Squadron 4 years 4 months ago #4140

• LBirch
  • Fresh Boarder
My great uncle took part in this rice drop but was killed when his plane was shot down, along with the rest of the planes that day. His name was Albert Beer. His name appears in the War Cemetery Singapore.

Re: Rice Drop by John Gordon Bell (Don) of 355 Squadron 4 years 4 months ago #4145

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
Hi Lisa, welcome to the site, do you have any information that you can share about your Great Uncle?
Gary
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
Time to create page: 0.395 seconds