Text Size

Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron

More
5 years 7 months ago #1352 by Gary
Gary created the topic: Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron

THE WAR YEARS AND MY TIME IN THE RAF

By

Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron based in the Azores

I was 16 when the war started and serving my time as an apprentice painter and decorator in South Shields.  Time went on and air raids became a very regular thing: houses were blown up, people were killed. Conscription was on the way and I wanted to become a pilot. Bomb shelters had been built in the streets for people to gather in for protection.  At night, no lights were allowed to be shown, and there was a complete black out, being near the river living not far from the sea made the town a perfect target for bombers overhead. One night I remember in particular, it was my turn to stand-by with a work mate on fire-watch duty at my place of work. At midnight the air-raid sirens sounded and the town was heavily bombed. A few yards from where we were two shops were hit, resulting in several people being seriously hurt. Further along the street a department store was demolished and bombs had dropped on the market place, killing a lot of people.

Read more...

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 2 weeks ago #4855 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron
Just sat and read this article, and it has brought tears to my eyes. Reading names that my uncle has mentioned aswell brought a smile to my face, The Canadian F/O Harry Shaak,the old timer Sgt McMahon and the W/O Sgt Barry Beeston.
We should be so proud of our family\'s wartime history.

Regards Andy Rogers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

More
1 year 9 months ago #4879 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron
hi I cannot view the photo with this article. How can I get to see it, as there are some names in the list that my uncle served with.

regards Andy Rogers.

More
1 year 9 months ago #4880 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron
I'll have to fish it out as it seems to have been lost from the site.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Warning: getimagesize(/home/rafb24/public_html/media/kunena/ranks/red stars.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rafb24/public_html/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

Warning: getimagesize(/home/rafb24/public_html/media/kunena/ranks/red stars.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rafb24/public_html/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
More
1 year 6 months ago #4887 by Tremic
Tremic replied the topic: Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron
Hi Gary
Here is the photo - I can resend if you want - are you on the same email address? I've also added a few other pics.

Cynthia Kent
Attachments:

More
1 year 6 months ago #4888 by Tremic
Tremic replied the topic: Fl/Sgt Edward Kent, Flight Engineer, 220 Squadron
Hi Gary

Here is a pic of Edward Kent and Sgt McMahon.

Cynthia Kent
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds