Text Size

No. 220 Squadron R.A.F.

• DrWatkins
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • F/L Monty Watkins
More
3 years 10 months ago #4839 by DrWatkins
DrWatkins replied the topic: No. 220 Squadron R.A.F.
My father, Montague Watkins was Flight Lieutenant 153957 in RAF 220 Squadron.
Greatly appreciated if anyone can give me any leads to further information about my father.
Kind Regards
Dr Philip Watkins
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #4842 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: No. 220 Squadron R.A.F.
Hi, Philip,

Presumably he was aircrew. What position? When was he with 220 Sqn?

I am guessing that you do not have his logbook, which would provide a wealth of info.

Your best bet is probably at The National Archives in Kew, London -- where the 220 Squadron Operations Record Book is held. ORBs vary greatly in detail, even from month to month. They can be awesome in their rich detail. Or large swaths can be missing. Or compiled by clerks who put no effort into recording history. Or filled with erroneous serial numbers (159 Sqn\'s ORB suffers this problem at times). If you have a logbook, though, you can cross-reference, though you\'re bound to find discrepancies.

You can order digital scans from the 220 Sqn ORB, too. I\'m not familiar with the current procedure, however.

Good luck,

Matt

• DrWatkins
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • F/L Monty Watkins
More
3 years 10 months ago #4848 by DrWatkins
DrWatkins replied the topic: No. 220 Squadron R.A.F.
Thank-you for this information Matt. I will endeavour to find his logbooks. My father was a pilot during the war on both Lancaster Bombers and Liberators (in Canada) When I find more information I will email you.
Thanks again Matt
cheers
Dr PHIL WATKINS

More
3 years 9 months ago #4853 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: No. 220 Squadron R.A.F.
Hi there, my uncle Frank Rogers, was also in the 220 squadron at the same time as your late father. I don\'t think he went to waterbeach after the azores. His rank was Sgt Frank Rogers, and he was a rear gunner. He sent me some pictures , and one is of a mk4 liberator being loaded with bombs by the ground crew. The liberator has the identity of your fathers plane . ZZ-E. If you can send me your e-mail address, I could send you a copy of this picture.
Regards Andy Rogers.

More
3 years 9 months ago #4854 by TortyR
Hi Mark, I\'ve been doing some research for my uncle regarding the 220 squadron in the azores. He was also a rear gunner in liberators during ww2. I am not sure what his plane was named, but I will be asking that question.
I am guessing by you saying that your father is , that he is still about. As is my uncle, who has just turned 90. I have a list of names of my uncles flight that maybe your father might remember. My uncle is Sgt Frank Rogers, there was also :-

F/L SHAAK,
F/O DAVESON,
SGT MACMORHON,
F/SGT BEASTON,
F/L LANYARD,
F/O THOMAS,
and F/SGT KING. (this could possibly be Kent, waiting to hear back from uncle).

Hope this is of help.
Kind regards Andy Rogers.

More
2 years 3 weeks ago #5532 by TortyR
Hello there Taylor family. My uncle was also with the 220 in the Azores from Dec 44 to April 45. His name is Frank Rogers,, he was a Seargent and rear gunner. Apparently got shot down a couple of times. Also his 1st pilot was F/L Shaak.
Regards Andy Rogers.

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds