Thursday, June 29, 2017
Text Size

TOPIC: Interview with Fred Galea, Air Bomber

Interview with Fred Galea, Air Bomber 5 years 1 month ago #1889

• Gary
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21

Sgt McArthur, who later became my skipper, was involved in a crash on the 2nd August 1944 during an air/sea firing practice (see OR). As an Air Bomber I joined the McArthur crew in December 1944 and completed a tour by 22nd May 1945.

On arriving at Salbani I had been attached to F/S Collins’ crew. The last date I flew with F/S Collins crew was on the 2nd September 1944, this was a practice bombing flight. I had been hoping to join the Collins crew on operations but on the third request the CO postponed the occasion, till all bomb aimers were ready to join and fly with their crews. The Collins crew were killed in EW114/S on the 16th September 1944 (see OR). Just before EW114/S took off I lent one of the crew my flying helmet because theirs had been misplaced. That was the last I saw on my first crew.

Read more...
'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Interview with Fred Galea, Air Bomber 5 years 3 weeks ago #1890

• Tremic
  • Researcher
Updated

Interview with Fred Galea, Air Bomber 2 years 10 months ago #4614

• EGT1925
  • Fresh Boarder
Sgt Eric George Thresher was my father and I was very moved to read the above article by Fred Galea, in which he talks about my father. Can you tell me if Fred is still alive as i would like to write to him about his experiences and memories of my father. Thank you
David Walbrook
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds