• ragrant
  • ragrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #179 by ragrant
ragrant created the topic: 148 Squadron - Peter Flyte
Hi can anyone help?

I am trying to find out more about my uncle, F/O Peter Raymond Flyte.

He served with 148 Sqdn as a Navigator (I think) on either Halifaxes or Wellingtons. He died on 20th October 1943, while on a supply mission to Yugoslavia or Albania.

I would like to find out more about the actual circumstances, his fellow crew the aircraft and anything else regarding his previous missions.

Thanks very much

Andrew Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ragrant
  • ragrant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1007 by ragrant
ragrant replied the topic: 148 Squadron - Peter Flyte
Hi can anyone help?

I am trying to find out more about my uncle, F/O Peter Raymond Flyte.

He served with 148 Sqdn as a Navigator (I think) on either Halifaxes or Wellingtons. He died on 20th October 1943, while on a supply mission to Yugoslavia or Albania.

I would like to find out more about the actual circumstances, his fellow crew the aircraft and anything else regarding his previous missions.

Thanks very much

Andrew Grant

More
9 years 3 weeks ago #1008 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: 148 Squadron - Peter Flyte
Hi Andrew,
I dont know much about 148 Squadron but may be able to offer a few tips. Have you applied to obtain your uncles RAF service records (they are free for the next of kin). If a wife or brother or sister is still alive get them to apply. They do not generally give huge amounts of information but should at least tell you where and when he was stationed during his training and operational duties. There may be other records which refer to his death which you can obtain.
The most useful record is his flying log book - check with family if anyone still has it, as it will give details of every operation flown including his pilots name(s). Any other details such as letters photos etc. may help fill in details.
Placing queries, photographs etc on bulletin boards on this site and other RAF related sites quite often helps to obtain more information.
I notice that 148 Squadron were involved in Special Duties when your uncle flew with them it would be interesting to find out what these duties were.
If have any questions please post them as there are lots of people willing to help.
Good luck in your search - let us know if you find anything out

Brian

• Namesake
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
2 months 1 week ago #5668 by Namesake
Namesake replied the topic: 148 Squadron - Peter Flyte
i was named in honour and remembrance of your uncle.
We've been in touch before, and now I hope we may have a long promised meeting?
I still live in Worcester Park, and I recall we weren't far away from each other.
I do hope this reaches you,
Peter Ollett.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds