Azores

• philuttley
  • philuttley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
More
6 years 4 weeks ago - 6 years 4 weeks ago #4427 by philuttley
philuttley created the topic: Azores
My uncle, Albert Rogers, served with RAF Coastal Command 220 squadron in the Azores from 1944 to 1945. I'm visiting the Azores soon and am hoping to visit some the places he would have visited while he was there (from photographs his wife still has). I'm also trying to find out more about his service record but only have some notes scribbled on the back of one of the photos

"Azores - F/Lt Carter's Crew - 220 Sqdn 1944".

The names of the crew are also listed "Ron, ??, Tom, Myself, Stan, Shorty,Nick, Bert, Bill, Jimmy".

I know that Shorty (real name Harold Cope) was the Australian navigator and is still periodically in touch with my Auntie (he is in a care home in Oz but quite frail).

I think pilot was Nick Carter. I believe he might have been a Canadian.

My uncle was the rear gunner

Does any of this ring any bells with anyone?
Last Edit: 6 years 4 weeks ago by philuttley.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #4847 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: Azores
Hi there,
My uncle was also a rear gunner in the azores about the same time as your uncle. His captain was Flt Lt Shaak a canadian too. My uncle is still alive and well, and has recently celebrated his 90th birthday. All he can remember about the planes codes is the \'ZZ\' on the side of the nose. Apparently he ditched 3 times whilst on patrol in the azores. He gave me a list of crew members that he served with and i wonder if your uncle might have known them too.

F/L SHAAK, F/O DAVEISON, SGT MACMORHON, F/SGT BEASTON, F/L LANYARD, F/O THOMAS, F/SGT KING, and of course my uncle SGT ROGERS.

I will be in touch with my uncle to see if he remembers any of the names that your uncle served with.

Do you have any group squadron photos?.

Regards Andy Rogers.

More
3 years 3 months ago #4890 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: Azores
A quick update as to the names my uncle gave me of his crew mates. Sgt MacMorhon, is actually Sgt McMahon, F/Sgt Beaston is just spelt wrong, should be BEESTON, and the flight engineer F/Sgt King, is actually F/Sgt Edward Kent. With my uncle turning 91 this coming September, his memory is getting a little vague. But, ha hasn't changed in appearance since his flying days.

Warning: getimagesize(/home/rafb24/public_html/media/kunena/ranks/red stars.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rafb24/public_html/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902

Warning: getimagesize(/home/rafb24/public_html/media/kunena/ranks/red stars.jpg): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/rafb24/public_html/libraries/kunena/user/user.php on line 902
More
3 years 3 months ago #4893 by Tremic
Tremic replied the topic: Azores
Another pic for you TortyR - Edward Kent left and Sgt McMahon.

Tremic
Attachments:

More
3 years 3 months ago #4894 by Tremic
Tremic replied the topic: Azores
Another pic of the crew relaxing TortyR

Tremic
Attachments:

More
3 years 3 months ago #4895 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Azores
Thanks for these Andy

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds