Thursday, October 18, 2018
Text Size

Kirkness memoir - query for Matt Poole

More
9 months 2 weeks ago - 9 months 2 weeks ago #5597 by Matt_Poole
Matt_Poole replied the topic: Kirkness memoir - query for Matt Poole

Gary, this group of Liberator aficionados we are part of is not quite as large as the Manchester United fan base. Knowing that somehow adds to the satisfaction I feel in having enlightened a few more of our unique gang of curiosity-seekers with this book about the exploits of Bill and his squadronmates.

I'm thrilled that you're finding the book to be a great read -- gotta give this guy named Bill Kirkness a bit of credit, too! I can open the book to any page and read it again, with a sense of awe and gratitude – and sometimes relief that I never had to experience anything even remotely similar.

Thanks! Happy New Year, very soon. Here's a photo of Bill at a 159 Squadron reunion -- loving the chance to raise a glass with his old pals.

Matt
Attachments:
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by Matt_Poole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 months 2 days ago - 8 months 2 days ago #5604 by Matt_Poole
Two weeks ago I chatted on Skype for nearly three hours!! with Angus Wallace, who sought me out for an interview about the book "RAF Liberators over Burma", and also about my research into RAF 159 Squadron. Angus runs a fascinating website, ww2podcast.com, where you will find an archive of his many audio interviews with book authors on a broad range of WWII subjects. He offers these at no cost to the public.

I immensely enjoyed the experience, made much easier by my affable, highly intelligent, and well-prepared interviewer. Thanks go to Angus! The result has just gone on-line as a 51-minute conversation. Or, I should say, as a 51-minute monologue, by and large. The full link to my interview is:

ww2podcast.com/ww2-podcast/61-raf-libera...flying-159-squadron/

For those who donate to keep Angus up and running, he offers, in gratitude, a 31-minute bonus interview, culled from additional material recorded with me back on 31 January, as well as further bonus material from future interviews with other authors.

I am, um, not a natural, ya know, at, like, speaking – but that did not stop me from gabbing on and on. After all, the subject matter is near and dear to my heart, and this golden opportunity to educate others regarding Bill Kirkness and 159 Squadron was not one I cared to pass up! For the most part, I like what came out of my mouth. . .for the most part! Mind you, I was recovering from a mild cold, and the quality of my voice is less than ideal, but I think I’m my own worst critic.

I encourage you to give the 51-minute interview a listen, and if you are intrigued and so inclined, please support Angus by signing up as a patron. A tiny amount, only $1 or $2 a month, is all that he asks, though you are more than welcome to flood him with greenbacks, pounds, rupees, Euros, pesos, gold doubloons, pieces of eight, valuable battlefield relics, or authenticated Beatle signatures. The bonus interview material will be sure to fascinate.

Cheers,

Matt
Last Edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Matt_Poole. Reason: Nessuhsairy evil: correcting tighpowgrafficull errrrorrrrrs

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #5605 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Kirkness memoir - query for Matt Poole
Just listened to the podcast and really enjoyed it. Well done Matt keep up the good work.
Regards
Brian

More
7 months 4 weeks ago #5606 by Matt_Poole
Thanks, Brian. I appreciate your kind words!

Matt

More
7 months 3 weeks ago #5609 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Kirkness memoir - query for Matt Poole
Fantastic stuff Matt, you're everywhere I turn at the moment. Had someone ask me if I had this book on my shelf, I felt quite proud to say yes and that I considered Matt a personal friend of a number of years. Even got the book on our local sites here in NZ. You're become a bit famous mate, good on ya :D
How many copies do you think you've flogged so far?
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
7 months 3 weeks ago - 7 months 3 weeks ago #5610 by Matt_Poole
Thanks, Gary. Please address me as Sir Matthew from now on...but, really, you must first go through my Press Agent before being granted an audience with the King. Oh, brother! No, I'm still grounded, mate!

I haven't the foggiest idea how many books have sold. I asked my point of contact at Fonthill Media that very question yesterday and was told he presumes I have to wait for the first royalty statement -- for 2018 -- which, per the contract, must arrive in the first 90 days of 2019. That's assuming I sell enough to warrant receiving royalties.

It would be worthless for me to guess any sales, though it reached #1 yesterday on amazon.ca (Canada) in the category of...steady, now...Books > History > Asia > Myanmar! YES!! Numero Uno, bay-bee!!! I don't know...that might mean three books sold yesterday in Canada, for all I know.

Also yesterday I reached these lofty rankings on amazon.co.uk:

• #3 in Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > East & South East Asia
• #3 in Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Battles & Campaigns > Burma
• #4 in Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Military & Naval > Military Aircraft

Some of the recent sales have likely been triggered by the podcast. Angus Wallace, who interviewed me for the podcast, wrote yesterday that he's received more 'thank you' notes for this podcast that any other he can ever remember. Very nice! And his revenue from podcasts has jumped 20% -- so, he says, he owes me a beer when I'm next up his way!

And then yesterday the Daily Fail, I mean Mail -- the UK newspaper -- printed a story, filled with an assortment of errors (as is their specialty!) -- but the publicity is truly nice, and I'll not whine too much. The link to that story is:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5421725...-Burma.html#comments

Here are sample errors: 1. It says, correctly, that Bill Kirkness died in 1994. It then says that the book was completed 25 years after Bill's death. DO THE MATH!!! 25 years?? Good job of edditttingggg. 2. Also, wireless op/air gunner Bill -- who flew mostly as a first wireless op (the main wireless op on the Lib) is referred to as just an air gunner, though the caption for his portrait photo makes sure to point out his wireless operator's sparks badge! Ugh... 3. The captions go a bit wonky where they add stuff that wasn't in the original captioning, and where they change some of the first-person original captions (taken from the book) to third person. Imagine the difficulty in changing "I" to "he" or "Bill"!

I have concluded from reading Daily Mail stories that writers/editors purposely add error as a deeply psychological way of sticking it to the company because they hate their jobs.

BUT...again...I'm grateful for the story, and I think it contributed to a spike in sales yesterday and today.

Cheers,

Matt
Last Edit: 7 months 3 weeks ago by Matt_Poole. Reason: Trying to be more conscientious about errors than the Daily Mail

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds