Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Text Size

No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944

More
6 years 2 months ago #3963 by johnhewitt
johnhewitt created the topic: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
I am seeking information about the death of my godfather, F/O John Douglas EGLEN,169690 (Navigator) together with nine other flight crew, some from Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
I have obtained the AIR 27 ORBs from the National Archives which list these ten men as "All the above personnel missing from Air Operations (believed killed)". However, the strange thing is that they are not listed under AIR OPERATIONS but under ADMINISTRATION. The only survivor of that day was a P/O A F Gibb.
I hope that someone might have some idea of what happened on that day or could throw some light on the possibilities so that a 70 year old mystery could be put to rest for family history purposes.
Thank you.
John Hewitt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3966 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hi John, welcome to the site. Everything I have on 224 Squadron (almost nothing) is already on the site, anything that you may have and would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
Good luck in your search, if we can help with anything just shout and we'll do our best.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 1 month ago #4021 by pjones
pjones replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hi ,
My name is paul jones and my great uncle flew with your godfather on the day
they were killed. It was their last mission and they were shot down in error by hms onslow.
I have a picture of the crew in front of their liberator taken just before they were killed.
[attachment:1]Ted Lindsay crew - Copy.jpg[/attachment]
I have been researching my uncle for 4 years now and have been to st eval in cornwall where
they were stationed, the runway is still there and the church where the crew with many others are
remembered in the book of remembrance .I have also donated my uncle's medals and the crew photo
to raf davidstow museum, which is a wonderful place that remembers coastal command 59 sqd who
also flew from st eval.
hope this helps
best wishes
paul

More
6 years 1 month ago #4022 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hey Paul
Any chance of a copy of that photo for this site?
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Thanks in advance.
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 1 month ago #4023 by pjones
no problem
cheers
paul

More
6 years 1 month ago #4024 by pjones
sdr edward lindsay and crew of lib ev 878 st eval 1944
[attachment:1]Ted Lindsay crew - Copy.jpg[/attachment]

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds