Saturday, May 26, 2018
Text Size

No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944

More
5 years 5 months ago #4074 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
No mate, nothing here.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 weeks ago #4205 by JohnCharnock
JohnCharnock replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
I am the nephew of John Douglas Egan who was the husband of my late aunt - my mother's sister.
I was aware of some of the details of my uncle's death, but only through odd comments from my mother who herself died nearly 50 years ago. My aunt never, ever, mentioned her husband and would change the subject or blank you if you touched upon it - obviously her coping strategy for dealing with the reality after only 12 months of marriage. His dress uniform still hung in my aunt's wardrobe, reputedly, in the early 1960s.
My interest was piqued by John Hewitt, who started this this thread, when he contacted me last year.
With the information that John gave me, and subsequent searches online, it is obvious that my memory of stories heard in childhood were accurate: submarine spotting, Bay of Bisque, shot down by friendly fire, missing in action.
At my aunt's house, as a child, I played with a solid brass model aircraft, and whilst I was always aware that it had something to do with my late uncle, it is only in the last 24 hours that I have established it is an accurate model of a Lockheed Hudson, used by Coastal Command, an aircraft I suspect crewed by my uncle before joining 224 Squadron at St Eval.
I notice from the thread that Paul has a photograph of my uncle with his fellow crew members - could I ask, Paul, for a copy, please?

John Charnock
York
07729 814512

More
3 years 10 months ago #4610 by Shirley
Shirley replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hello my uncle, John Stebbings may have been on that flight. Could I have a copy of the photo. I always thought he was in the flying boats but his name appears on the RAF St Mawgan list of those killed when the Liberator was shot down by HMS Onslow. Many thanks

Shirley

More
4 months 4 days ago #5602 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hi , reading about St Eval, and what has been talked about here. My uncle, Sgt Frank Rogers was stationed at St Eval in dec 1944, he was then posted out to the Azores, Gibraltor until April 1945 with the 220 squadron, Costal Command. He is now 92 years young, and I've been trying to find out about the 220, but there is very little info about them.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds