Thursday, August 22, 2019
Text Size

No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944

More
6 years 9 months ago #4025 by pjones
pjones replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
sdr edward lindsay and crew of lib ev 878 st eval 1944

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #4042 by positiverateofclimb
positiverateofclimb replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hi

My late Fathers best friend was Bill Andrews who died on 12 August 1944, was he a Member of this crew?

Thanks and with kind regards

Matthew

More
6 years 9 months ago #4048 by johnhewitt
johnhewitt replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hi

Gary
Many thanks for opening this one and helping all three of us see through the mists.

Paul
It was good to hear from you especially as we have a common interest. I have a copy of the HMS Onslow log outlining these events off La Rochelle which says three things of interest:-
1. RAF crew were rescued.
2. Board of Enquiry was held aboard HMS Onslow on 17th August.
3. A BBC War Correspondent, Stanley Maxted was on board the Onslow at this time and reported. His subsequent broadcast included the incident.
The fact that the crew were rescued (not recovered) contrasts with the RAF record of (believed killed). I am trying to gain access to the Enquiry findings which may go some way to explain the tragic events of that day.
Like Gary. I would very much appreciate a .jpg file copy of your photograph. My e-mail address is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Matthew
You are quite correct. The St.Eval records indicate as below:
F/O W.Andrews.NZ.421492 (Pilot) NZ.18/44.

Thanks and Best Wishes to All
John

More
6 years 9 months ago #4052 by positiverateofclimb
positiverateofclimb replied the topic: Re: No.224 Squadron RAF, RAF St. Eval - 12th Aug 1944
Hi John

Thank you for confirming that W Andrews was a member of the crew. He was my late Fathers best friend and Dad never knew what happened -, only that the liberator exploded and he was never found.

Thank you again

Matthew

More
6 years 8 months ago #4053 by pjones
Hi, HMS DIADEM was with HMS ONSLOW when they shot ev878 out of the sky in the dark early
hours of 13th august 1944. John emrys williams was on hms diadem and his diaries are available to view on-line and if you scroll down to 13 th august you will find that he was an eyewitness to this tragedy.
HMS ONSLOW state in their log book that the liberator made an attack on the ship, it also states
that the crew were rescued which is not what was witnessed bu john williams.
cheers paul

More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #4073 by pjones
Hi Gary, Did my crew photo get through to you, also my e-mail has
changed to
Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

cheers
paul
Last Edit: 6 years 8 months ago by Gary.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds