Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Text Size

36 squadron RAF

More
6 years 2 months ago #3976 by Nige
Nige created the topic: 36 squadron RAF
Hi everyone I am new to this forum I am trying to research my late fathers service history, and can not find any reference to 36 sqd. Operating B24. He always told me that he was in North Africa at RAF Bleeda, and the aircraft were formally on charge to the South African Air Force. I would appreciate any help
Thanks Nige.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3977 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: 36 squadron RAF
Hi Nige, welcome to the site mate.
It would of been either 34 or 31 Squadrons SAAF as these were the only two liberator equipped SAAF squadrons. If you have any way of validating any info look for locations as they were based out in North Africa and Italy, this would confirm that it was either of these two Squadrons.
Thanks
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
6 years 2 months ago #3978 by Nige
Nige replied the topic: Re: 36 squadron RAF
Thanks Gary will get onto that. My dad was originally on ground staff working on Wellingtons on coastal command and anti submarine duties in the Med,the squadron converted to the B24 and he retrained to air crew as flight engineer, he did his training in South Africa, records that I have found shows that when he was in England he was with 36 Sqdn. and went out to North Africa with them. The pilot that my dad flew with was from Australia and I met him when I was about 8 years old (1962) his surname was Cook as I remember, I should say that my dad was English. Once again thanks for the lead, I will let you know if I find out anything. Nige

More
5 years 9 months ago #4154 by innamincka girl
innamincka girl replied the topic: Re: 36 squadron RAF
Hi Nige

My husband's grandfather was at Blida with the 36 Squadron. He was a W,Op/Gunner there and part of a crew that unfortunately crashed a Wellington in bad weather in 1944 coming in to the base. I wonder if you have any photos from that time or any mention in your dad's records of that incident? It occurred on 4th March 1944. I found a recollection by a Malcolm Roby who was also stationed there at the time. I'm attaching a link to another forum where I found his account of the crash.

www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php...Wellington-XIV-HF296

My husband's grandfather was Charles Frederick Davy. His son (my father-in-law) was just 4 years old at the time. I'd love to gather as much info about his father if I can - I don't think he was ever told much.

More
5 years 1 month ago #4473 by Nige
Nige replied the topic: Re: 36 squadron RAF
Hi I have found two photos after finding some more of my dad's things, there is no info with them apart from 36 on back. I just wondered if you would like to see them. My dad is the one with the red x, not my handy work by the way. If you have any idea where they are could you let me know. Thanks Nige
Attachments:

More
5 years 1 month ago #4474 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Re: 36 squadron RAF
At a guess I'd say Italy, any chance of copies of these photos I'd like to post them somewhere and see if I can get some feedback.

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds