Wednesday, December 12, 2018
Text Size

200 Squadron - Squadron Code Letters 1941-1945

More
4 years 7 months ago #4576 by David.N
David.N created the topic: 200 Squadron - Squadron Code Letters 1941-1945
I have just joined, and am very impressed with the dedication and expertise shown by members.

Before I pose my question, you may be interested to see the results of my research to date.

I am researching 200 Squadron Coastal Command from July 1943 to May 1945.

After leaving England 18 June 1941 the squadron was based at Jeswang, West Africa.
on 11 August 1943 they converted from Hudsons to Liberators and transferred their base to Yandum, Gambia, West Africa.

In March 1944 the squadron transferred to the SEAC based at St Thomas Mount, Chennai, India.

Later, in April 1945, the squadron transferred to Jessore, Bangladesh for special duties and supply drops in Burma.

Robert Quirk's transcribed records from Kew were used as the basis for my research.
This shows the pilot's name and names of the crew, also detailed activity reports for individual flights. This info, together with the log book of my wife's uncle - C.E. Weinberg (NZ42305) WOP/Ag who was promoted to P/O towards the end of his service - allowed me to develop quite a detailed piece.

I researched the Serial Numbers and Code Letters of all Liberators in 200 Squadron, together with the aircraft call signs i.e. BZ823 E-Easy, BZ994 N-Nan. etc.

The 200 Squadron Code Letters in 1939 were 'UE'.
However, I have drawn a blank when researching the 200 Squadron Code Letters for the early 1940s.

Here's my question.
Can any one provide me with 200 Squadron's Code for the 1940s?
I also require confirmation of the location of the letters - e.g. N under and in front of the cockpit, and UE (or the correct letters) behind the roundel at the rear of the fuselage.

Photos would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance.
David.N
Auckland
New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4577 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 200 Squadron - Squadron Code Letters 1941-1945
Hi David, welcome aboard as they say. It's been a while since there's been any updates here, I've not been up to it this year, I had spinal surgery and I'm still getting over that slowly but surely :)
I personally don't have any more information to hand but hopefully someone else may have.
It's also good to see that you are also just up the rode from me, I'm down in the Waikato since I moved here from England 8 years ago.
Cheers
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 7 months ago #4578 by David.N
David.N replied the topic: 200 Squadron - Squadron Code Letters 1941-1945
Thanks Gary. Good to know you are close by in NZ.
David.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4579 by David.N
Hi Gary, I have an answer to my query - from Robert Quirk.
200 Squadron did not show squadron codes on their Liberators.
That came as a surprise, and I would like to know why not?
The aircraft identification letter was shown and was located to the rear of the waist gun position. The serial number was located as usual below the tail plane.
You may be interested to know that I am doing this research on behalf of the Weinberg family who live in Cambridge. Small world.
David.

More
4 years 7 months ago #4582 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 200 Squadron - Squadron Code Letters 1941-1945
Thanks for the info David, small world indeed, I live 20kms from Cambridge and I run the model show/competitions there at the big Armistice event each year.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #4585 by David.N

Hi Gary,
I checked out the web site for Armistice Cambridge... www.armisticeincambridge.co.nz/index.html
What a fantastic show. How come we JAFFAs don't know about it? I will look forward to coming down to Cambridge for the weekend.
I am building a 1:72 scale Liberator for presentation to the Weinberg family - see pics attached.

To make the model more interesting I added four small electric motors running off a AAA battery in the bomb bay. Enough to make the props turn a reasonably scale revs.The model will have the correct ident letter for Bis Weinberg's aircraft.
I am impressed with the displays shown on your web site. A big 'well done' to you and your committee.
Cheers,
David.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by David.N. Reason: added photo

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds