Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Text Size

224 Squadron U-Boat sinkings

More
9 years 5 months ago #877 by Turner
Turner replied the topic: 224 Squadron U-Boat sinkings
Chaps

Thanks for your help with my initial enquiry.

"Constant Endeavour", my write-up of interviews with Flt Lt Geoff Shakespeare, will appear in the March issue of Flypast alongside a piece by an RAF Ferry pilot on taking a B-24 across the Atlantic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #878 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 224 Squadron U-Boat sinkings
I'll have to make sure I get a copy of flypast sent over here to this island in the middle of nowhere. Try to squeeze a plug for this site in to your piece (yeah I'm cheap but hey we need new blood with the new information :D )
Talking of new information I might be getting a bunch of new 159 and other photos for the site.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
9 years 5 months ago #879 by Turner
Turner replied the topic: 224 Squadron U-Boat sinkings
Ah...

This was my first published piece so although I managed to acknowledged the book source, I didn't publically acknowledge the initial help from this forum which is a failing on my part.

I'll get in touch with the editor and find a way of getting this done retrospectively!

Geoff Shakespeare died 31 Jan, fortunately I was able to get a copy of the magazine to him before he passed away.

More
9 years 5 months ago #880 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: 224 Squadron U-Boat sinkings
That's a real shame about Geoff and so close to the release of the magazine, I'm sure he would of died happy knowing that his story made it out there.
Someone actually emailed me a copy of that story (not that I condone this but I wasn't about to turn my nose up at it and I'll get a proper version when it hits the shelves here).
There were some beautiful photos there, where did you get them from?
You should definately get hold of the editor even if it's just to tell them about Geoff.

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #5658 by TortyR
TortyR replied the topic: 224 Squadron U-Boat sinkings
Hi Peter, Its very interesting seeing the information you have on the 224 Squadron. Would you have anything like this on the 220 Coastal Command Squadron?
My dads brother was based in the Azores on Libs '44-'45. He ditched a couple of times whilst on reconnaissance. He was a rear gunner and can only remember that the plane had the nose markings ZZ.
Any info you have would be appreciated, as i am trying to find out as much as i can for my uncle.
He is 95 years young, and up until a couple of years ago, used to go to monthly meetings with his former squadron friends. But sadly they have slowly diminished in numbers, so the meetings have stopped.
Regards Andy.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds