Hello all!

• Smith 565
  • Smith 565's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #5463 by Smith 565
Smith 565 created the topic: Hello all!
Having found this site a number of years ago, I've finally got round to joining!

A long-time interest in both aviation history and medal collecting, my main interest here is the Liberator squadrons which operated from India. My father, now 93, was a bomb aimer on 215 Squadron and later, after they converted to Dakotas, he finished his tour with 355. If anyone has Wally Frazer's book, 'A Trepid Aviator', he is the 'Smitty' / Alan Smith mentioned.

Regards to all,

Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #5466 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Hello all!
Welcome aboard Geoff.
The site hasn't change much in the last few years, my enthusiasm waned after moving to New Zealand (too many other things to do and see) plus the advent of social media like Facebook etc made me question the hard work and $$ I put in. But the fire for research is slowly returning and I keep promising myself and others I'll do some updates.
Thanks for stopping by it encourages me to get off my arse and do something here :)
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

• Smith 565
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #5467 by Smith 565
Smith 565 replied the topic: Hello all!
Thanks Gary! Hope its lovelier today in New Zealand than it is in cold, damp England...

I have just retired, so full of enthusiasm at the moment to 'get off my arse' and do something new and different. Hopefully the Indian Liberator squadrons will be part of that!

Geoff

More
3 years 3 months ago #5468 by Gary
Gary replied the topic: Hello all!
It's very warm here today, still can't get used to Christmas in the tropics :)
So how can I help you and in return maybe you can help me, even if it's just to revive my enthusiasm?
Gary

'Yea, Though I Fly Through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil. For I am at 50,000 Feet and Climbing.'

More
3 years 3 months ago #5473 by brianj
brianj replied the topic: Hello all!
Hi Geoff,
My father also flew with 215 Squadron and I have transcribed all the Liberator missions into a database.
I have had a look and have about 5 Smiths serving with the squadron but only 1 bomb aimer. His initials were A.E. is this your father?
He took part in about 20 missions and his pilot was called Frazer - is this the correct one.
If you want any more details about the missions please let me know.
Good to hear your father is still around
Regards
Brian

• Smith 565
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
More
3 years 3 months ago #5474 by Smith 565
Smith 565 replied the topic: Hello all!
Hello Brian,

Yes that's him. Off the top of my head, 20 ops with 215 is about right. He did a further 5 or so with 355 till he completed his tour just before the Japanese surrender.

I got copies of the Squadron ORB relating to my Dad's ops many years ago from Kew, when they went through an awful period of photocopying everything onto 'yellow' paper. (It was a security thing, as they were losing original records through people walking out with them.) Dad still has his log book, but he gave me his medals many years ago, when I was still at school. That was the beginning of my interest in medals and the start of my medal collection! He also has a very small part of the skin from the fuselage of the aircraft the Frazer crew crashed on return from their Insein trip in November 1944, their first op.

When was your father with 215 and what was his crew position btw?

Regards,

Geoff

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds