The Consolidated B-24D was the first Liberator model to enter large scale production--2,698 were ordered in 1940-1942. The B-24D was essentially a B-24C with improved engines and some minor production differences. The first 20 -D models built were from a block initially ordered as B-24A (40-2349 to 40-2368).
Initially, the B-24D was armed with eight .50-cal. machine guns: the A-6 tail turret, Martin top turret, and one each at the nose (some aircraft had two nose guns positions), waist (Lt. and Rt.) and tunnel positions. The tunnel gun (lower aft fuselage) was replaced by a remote-controlled Bendix belly turret but it was soon replaced by a Sperry ball turret. The single nose gun was augmented by left and right cheek mounted guns for late model B-24Ds.
The USAF Museum has B-24D-160-CO S/N 42-72843 on display in the Air Power Gallery along with some artifacts from the ill-fated "Lady Be Good."
Production B-24C; imp. engines
- Hits: 548
Terms & Conditions