Thursday, August 05, 2021
Text Size


I was at Salbani from 1944 to 1945 initially as a second pilot and finished our tour (300 hours/30 trips) as the ‘skipper’. We were a normal sized Liberator crew of eleven consisting of four Australians (RAAF) and seven British ‘types’ (RAF).

We were accommodated in three separate huts with the erstwhile paddy fields. Suspect we were too busy and pre-occupied with the desire to survive to become involved in any problems which would generate arguments.


I was a W/O for the duration of the tour, interviewed on the squadron for a commission which I obtained on returning to Australia.

We bombed key Japanese held positions in Burma and Thailand - first operational flight 23rd December 1944 – last operational flight 29th July 1945. We encountered ack-ack eleven times, enemy fighters four times. We raided Rangoon five times and Bangkok four times. We completed our tour without any major mishaps. We were ‘holed’ a few times.

A few days after we left the squadron the new aircraft, which we had tested, was loaded with rice and took off to deliver the rice to POWs at Changi. It crashed on take-off due to a flap malfunction. My second pilot (F/S Stan Holland) and the remaining members of the made up crew were killed or died later from the injuries they received – (KN781/L, which crashed on the 14th September 1945, captain F/O E.F. Adams, second pilot F/S S.R. Holland).

Our food was fairly routine – we survived without the need to raise complaints. Our medical needs were well cared for – I only caught dengue fever. We attended the regular ‘picture shows’ which afforded us a break from time to time.

We Australians formed a soccer team to compete in the squadron competition and played quite well – the RAF fellows reluctantly agreed. We also played cricket which was relaxing and of value for our physical health levels.

Our leave time was taken at Calcutta – the Anzac Club an RAAF establishment. We also went to the foot hills in the Himalayas and Colombo. Our overall attitudes/behaviour was exemplary – none of us was the recipient of disciplinary action.

We as a crew were proud to be active members of 355 Squadron, RAF.





Posted: 8 years 5 months ago by Adrian #4139
Adrian's Avatar

I was very interested to see this article. My father, Roy "Blue" Hill, was John's navigator during John's time as second pilot then Captain at 355 Squadron. According to dad's diary, they met on the morning of 14 August 14 1944, and crewed up on the morning of 25 August 1944. They obviously did all their Ops together, as dad's logbook lists the same 300 hours / 30 Ops as John! They remained good friends and kept in close touch after the war, even going to a 355 Squadron reunion once in the 1980's (I think it was in the '80's?)

Dad passed away a couple of years ago, so it was great to see his old skipper and friend's write-up :)

Adrian Hill
Posted: 9 years 2 months ago by Tremic #1888
Tremic's Avatar